Author Archives: Bodie.com

“The Mines of Bodie.” – March 17, 1880

Their resources unfolded to the members of the bullion club. The members of the Bullion Club were addressed last evening on the subject of the mines of Bodie, Cal., by Mr. B. B. Minor and Mr. H. O. Callahan. Twelve months ago, the former gentleman said, the reputation of the Bodie district was merely local, … Continue reading »

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , , , , | Comments Off on “The Mines of Bodie.” – March 17, 1880

Conway House

This was Bob Conway’s home in Bodie. The Conway’s owned a freight wagon business. Their wagons would travel from Carson City, Nevada, to Bodie and back, probably continuously during the non-winter months. If you’ve driven on the road to Bodie, imagine what it must have been like going down that 13 miles on unpaved, rocky, … Continue reading »

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Conway House

Methodist Church

When you first walk into town from the parking lot, the large building on the left is the Methodist Church. The structure was built in 1882 and was one of the two churches in town. There were about 65 saloons. The last standard church service was conducted in 1932, when all but a few families … Continue reading »

Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Methodist Church

D. V. Cain House

The D. V. Cain house was built in 1873. David Victor Cain was the son of J.S. Cain, and was born in Carson City and lived in this house after he married Ella M. Cody in 1904. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on D. V. Cain House

Cameron House

Although this is called the Cameron house, later on in it’s history, it was a residence of Martha and James Stuart Cain. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Cameron House

Electrification of the Standard Mill

Originally, the Standard Consolidated Mill was run by steam power, but wood was a resource that was expensive and became more expensive as it had to be hauled from further and further away. In November 1892, Thomas H. Leggett convinced James Cain to invest in his idea of transmitting power over a long distance. The … Continue reading »

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Comments Off on Electrification of the Standard Mill

Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

The Moyle brothers had a store on north Main Street. Later, George Moyle operated a bottling plan on south Main St. It was also the “Hise Restaurant” in later years. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

Tom Miller House

Tom Miller worked at Mono Mills for the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company (formerly known as the Bodie & Benton Railroad, and other names). Much of the Jeffrey pine lumber used in the construction of Bodie came from Mono Mills. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Tom Miller House

The 601 vigilante group and Joseph DeRoche

The 601 vigilante group One of the more famous stories of Bodie concerns the “601 vigilante group”. The notation of “601” is commonly known to mean “6 feet under, 0 trials, 1 rope”. It’s not clear how that meaning came to be, but the history of Bodie is sometimes difficult to “prove” and is more … Continue reading »

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , | Comments Off on The 601 vigilante group and Joseph DeRoche

Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store

In 1885-86, this building served as the United States Land Office. The Land Office was established on January 5th, 1879 and was moved here later. It’s purpose was to handle the applications for the purchase of the government land, and to receive the money for those lands. H. Z. Osborne was the first ‘Receiver of … Continue reading »

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store

Cordelia Hays Dolan

Marker #: See Bridgeport Cemetery Cordelia Hays Dolan was born in Bridgeport, CA on June 26, 1881 and died Wednesday, August 4, 1943 at the age of 62. Cordelia lived in San Francisco for many years starting around 1918, but returned to Mono County in the summers be near her home town. For over fourty … Continue reading »

Categories: People | Comments Off on Cordelia Hays Dolan

Frank Quinville House

Frank Quinville lived here sometime after he moved to Bodie in the 1880’s. He worked for the Standard Mill as a blacksmith, and must have done pretty well – this is a pretty nice house for a laborer of the day. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Frank Quinville House

Hydro-Electric Power Substation

This brick building, attached to the Wheaton and Hollis Hotel, helped bring Bodie into the 20th century. It houses transformers once used for powering the Standard Mill. You can see what is left of the white paint that covered the walls. Originally, the mill was run by steam power, but wood was a costly resource … Continue reading »

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Hydro-Electric Power Substation

Seiler House

Seiler owned a saloon on the corner of Union and Main Streets. Back Next Gallery…

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Seiler House

Ford Times – November 1951 – ‘The Bad Man from Bodie’ by Lucius Beebe

Around 1908 the Ford Motor Company began printing a newsletter for its employees, but it became so popular, it was turned into a magazine for the public and featured submissions by popular writers like John Steinbeck and E. B. White, articles about places to drive in the United States and artwork and paintings by now … Continue reading »

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , , | Comments Off on Ford Times – November 1951 – ‘The Bad Man from Bodie’ by Lucius Beebe

Bodie Bank

J. S. Cain bought The Bodie Bank in 1890 from E. L. Benedict after making quite a large fortune from a block of ground in the Standard Mine. From then on, Cain would be investing and building in the town quite a bit. Because Cain owned the bank and had so many businesses dealings with … Continue reading »

Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Bodie Bank

Discovery of the Standard Mine

Note: The following is excerpted from “The Story of Mono County” by Ella M. Cain who was born in Bodie and later taught school there. She was married to David Cain, the son of James S. Cain who was one of Bodie’s early settlers and later one of the principal land owners (his house is … Continue reading »

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Comments Off on Discovery of the Standard Mine

Bodie “history”

For a long time there’s been discussion and debate among many Bodie fans about how correct or incorrect some ‘facts’ are that surround Bodie. The term “myth” is used by some as it relates to Bodie, so here are some points to consider when reading stories of the park. Bodie existed as a town over 120 … Continue reading »

Categories: History | Comments Off on Bodie “history”

Bodie Catholic Church confirmation

This rare, beautiful and colorful document comes from the Catholic church in Bodie. The text reads: Confirmation.Julia Ann Murphy received the holy Sacrament of Confirmation in St. John the Baptist Church, September the 23 1883J. M. CassinBodie, Mono Co., CaliforniaPublished by Fr. Pustet New York. No. 38.   More about the Bodie Catholic Church…

Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , | Comments Off on Bodie Catholic Church confirmation

Bodie Miners Union Hall ornament

Decorate your Christmas tree this year with a unique wooden ornament of the Bodie Miners Union Hall. This laser engraved and laser cut wood ornament is 4 inches x 3 inches by 1/8 inch thick and is a beautiful likeness of what is now the Bodie Museum. On the back is engraved “Bodie, California Miners … Continue reading »

Categories: Mercantile | Tags: , | Comments Off on Bodie Miners Union Hall ornament