browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

History

Bodie Schoolhouse

The schoolhouse is one of the better looking buildings in town. It was originally the Bon Ton Lodging House in 1879, but was later converted to the school house, after the first one was burned down. The first school house was burned down by a small boy who had gotten in trouble, and was sent … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Bodie Schoolhouse

Johl House

This was the home of Eli and Lottie Johl. Eli came to the U. S. in 1865 from Germany and eventually made his way to Bodie. He and a partner, Charles Donnelly, setup the Union Market butcher shop. Lottie began her time in Bodie as a prostitute, and eventually married Eli. But, because of her … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Johl House

Pat Reddy

Patrick Reddy was a Bodie lawyer. Yes, he was the one who defended the “Bad Man from Bodie”. On more than one occasion he kept supposedly guilty men from being hanged. Pat was very well known for his abilities as a lawyer, and was called upon often. Mr. Reddy was recorded on the 1880 Census:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: People | Comments Off on Pat Reddy

Bodie, Then and Now

Main Street in Bodie was bragged to be nearly 1 mile long! That was before a large fire in 1892 that wiped out a significant portion of the town. In 1932, another devastating fire left Bodie pretty much the way you see it today. Approximately 100 structures are still standing, which includes everything from the … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures, History | Comments Off on Bodie, Then and Now

Death Takes Ella Cain – January 25, 1966

January 28, 1966 – Death Takes Ella Cain – Mono County Pioneer BRIDGEPORT — Ella M. Cain, Mono County pioneer and author of two books about the county, died Tuesday at 10:30 p.m. at the Mono Medical Center. She was 83. Recitation of the rosary is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday at the Infant of … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Stories of Bodie | Comments Off on Death Takes Ella Cain – January 25, 1966

Hoover House

This was the home of Theodore and Mildred Hoover. Theodore was the manager of the Standard Mill and lived in this house for about three years. Theodore was the brother of the would-be President Herbert Hoover, who occasionally visited Bodie – but that was long before he was president. At the time, Herbert was working … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Hoover House

Donnelly House

Charlie Donnelly was a butcher who married English artist Annie Pagdin. Later this house was occupied by E. W. Billeb and his wife Dolly, daughter of James S. and Martha Cain. Mr. Billeb was the last superintendent and manager of the old Bodie and Benton Railroad (later the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company). The … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Donnelly House

The cyanide leaching process

In the early days of mining, men would extract gold by placer mining, or by panning. Eventually the larger pieces were played out, and a new process was needed to collect the tiny fragments that were embedded into hard rock. One process was the stamp mill. Large, heavy stamps were used to crush large rock … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Stories of Bodie | Comments Off on The cyanide leaching process

Metzger House

Henry Metzger, born in New York in 1860, came to Bodie in 1878 to work in the Standard Mill and was its foreman when it closed down about 1916. Two of his seven children were born in this house.   Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Metzger House

“The Mines of Bodie.” – March 17, 1880

Their resources unfolded to the members of the bullion club. The members of the Bullion Club were addressed last evening on the subject of the mines of Bodie, Cal., by Mr. B. B. Minor and Mr. H. O. Callahan. Twelve months ago, the former gentleman said, the reputation of the Bodie district was merely local, … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , , , , | Comments Off on “The Mines of Bodie.” – March 17, 1880

Methodist Church

When you first walk into town from the parking lot, the large building on the left is the Methodist Church. The structure was built in 1882 and was one of the two churches in town. There were about 65 saloons. The last standard church service was conducted in 1932, when all but a few families … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Methodist Church

Conway House

This was Bob Conway’s home in Bodie. The Conway’s owned a freight wagon business. Their wagons would travel from Carson City, Nevada, to Bodie and back, probably continuously during the non-winter months. If you’ve driven on the road to Bodie, imagine what it must have been like going down that 13 miles on unpaved, rocky, … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Conway House

Cameron House

Although this is called the Cameron house, later on in it’s history, it was a residence of Martha and James Stuart Cain. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Cameron House

D. V. Cain House

The D. V. Cain house was built in 1873. David Victor Cain was the son of J.S. Cain, and was born in Carson City and lived in this house after he married Ella M. Cody in 1904. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on D. V. Cain House

Electrification of the Standard Mill

Originally, the Standard Consolidated Mill was run by steam power, but wood was a resource that was expensive and became more expensive as it had to be hauled from further and further away. In November 1892, Thomas H. Leggett convinced James Cain to invest in his idea of transmitting power over a long distance. The … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Stories of Bodie | Comments Off on Electrification of the Standard Mill

Tom Miller House

Tom Miller worked at Mono Mills for the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company (formerly known as the Bodie & Benton Railroad, and other names). Much of the Jeffrey pine lumber used in the construction of Bodie came from Mono Mills. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Tom Miller House

The 601 vigilante group and Joseph DeRoche

The 601 vigilante group One of the more famous stories of Bodie concerns the “601 vigilante group”. The notation of “601” is commonly known to mean “6 feet under, 0 trials, 1 rope”. It’s not clear how that meaning came to be, but the history of Bodie is sometimes difficult to “prove” and is more … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Stories of Bodie | Tags: , , | Comments Off on The 601 vigilante group and Joseph DeRoche

Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

The Moyle brothers had a store on north Main Street. Later, George Moyle operated a bottling plan on south Main St. It was also the “Hise Restaurant” in later years. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

Cordelia Hays Dolan

Marker #: See Bridgeport Cemetery Cordelia Hays Dolan was born in Bridgeport, CA on June 26, 1881 and died Wednesday, August 4, 1943 at the age of 62. Cordelia lived in San Francisco for many years starting around 1918, but returned to Mono County in the summers be near her home town. For over fourty … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: People | Comments Off on Cordelia Hays Dolan

Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store

In 1885-86, this building served as the United States Land Office. The Land Office was established on January 5th, 1879 and was moved here later. It’s purpose was to handle the applications for the purchase of the government land, and to receive the money for those lands. H. Z. Osborne was the first ‘Receiver of … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store