Bodie Structures

Conway House

This was Bob Conway’s home in Bodie. The Conway’s owned a freight wagon business. Their wagons would travel from Carson City, Nevada, to Bodie and back, probably continuously during the non-winter months. If you’ve driven on the road to Bodie, imagine what it must have been like going down that 13 miles on unpaved, rocky, … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Conway House

Cameron House

Although this is called the Cameron house, later on in it’s history, it was a residence of Martha and James Stuart Cain. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Cameron House

D. V. Cain House

The D. V. Cain house was built in 1873. David Victor Cain was the son of J.S. Cain, and was born in Carson City and lived in this house after he married Ella M. Cody in 1904. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on D. V. Cain House

Tom Miller House

Tom Miller worked at Mono Mills for the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company (formerly known as the Bodie & Benton Railroad, and other names). Much of the Jeffrey pine lumber used in the construction of Bodie came from Mono Mills. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Tom Miller House

Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

The Moyle brothers had a store on north Main Street. Later, George Moyle operated a bottling plan on south Main St. It was also the “Hise Restaurant” in later years. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Sam Leon Bar and Barber Shop

Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store

In 1885-86, this building served as the United States Land Office. The Land Office was established on January 5th, 1879 and was moved here later. It’s purpose was to handle the applications for the purchase of the government land, and to receive the money for those lands. H. Z. Osborne was the first ‘Receiver of … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Wheaton and Hollis Hotel and Bodie Store

Hydro-Electric Power Substation

This brick building, attached to the Wheaton and Hollis Hotel, helped bring Bodie into the 20th century. It houses transformers once used for powering the Standard Mill. You can see what is left of the white paint that covered the walls. Originally, the mill was run by steam power, but wood was a costly resource … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Hydro-Electric Power Substation

Seiler House

Seiler owned a saloon on the corner of Union and Main Streets. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Seiler House

Frank Quinville House

Frank Quinville lived here sometime after he moved to Bodie in the 1880’s. He worked for the Standard Mill as a blacksmith, and must have done pretty well – this is a pretty nice house for a laborer of the day. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Frank Quinville House

Bodie Bank

J. S. Cain bought The Bodie Bank in 1890 from E. L. Benedict after making quite a large fortune from a block of ground in the Standard Mine. From then on, Cain would be investing and building in the town quite a bit. Because Cain owned the bank and had so many businesses dealings with … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Bodie Bank

Burkham House

Though I don’t currently have any information on this house, I thought it was a very attractive house. Most homes in Bodie were not very fancy, but this one stands out because of it’s corner window. Looking through the windows of the Burkham house shows you what is left of this once beautiful house. You … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Burkham House

Bodie Catholic Church

In the summer of 1879, the Catholic Priest who presided over Bodie, Father John Cassin, called on the Catholic members of the town to help raise funds to build a church. The Bodie Standard newspaper reported on July 9, 1880 that the women of Bodie has raised over $1,000 for the church. In July 1882, … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , , , | Comments Off on Bodie Catholic Church

The Standard Mill

Here the Standard mill, which processed ore from the Standard Mine (originally named the Bunker Hill mine in 1861 when it was first registered.) Most of the inner workings are still in tact, some of which the public can see during a guided mill tour. Rangers and Park Aides conduct a history talk and tour … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: | Comments Off on The Standard Mill