Bodie Structures

Rare post-1899 photo

This rare photo of Bodie, taken from the north at Milk Ranch Canyon facing South, shows a different Bodie than most people are familiar with seeing. Looking at the full-size photo you get to see the huge cyanide-leaching ponds that once laid East of Main St. and the Bodie Creek (also visible in the photo.) … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie, Bodie Structures, History | Tags: , , , , , , | Comments Off on Rare post-1899 photo

McDonald House

Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on McDonald House

Bodie Firehouse

Here stands the lone Bodie fire station. Once nestled between other wooden buildings of the like, it now stands as a memorial to the once booming town of Bodie. At one point in time, there were four fire companies for Bodie! At one point, a fire broke out at the Central Market, and all four … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Bodie Firehouse

Dolan House

The Dolan family had two Mono County Sheriffs – Sheriff James P. Dolan and Sheriff Bert Dolan. James Dolan was shot and killed somewhere around Mono Lake on Monday, July 26, 1915. A posse tracked down and arrested (or killed, by some reports) the men responsible for his death. He was survived by his wife … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Dolan House

James Stuart Cain’s Home

Here is a residence of Mr. J.S. Cain, who was eventually the town’s principal property owner. Cain moved to Bodie when he was 25 and built an empire. He began building his empire by putting lumber barges on Mono Lake and transporting timber for Bodie – the same timber that was needed to support the … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on James Stuart Cain’s Home

Swazey Hotel

This building is very popular – probably because of how much it leans to one side. Since Bodie is in a “state of arrested decay,” some buildings need to be shored up to keep them from falling down. The Swazey Hotel has been leaning like this for some time now – who knows how long … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Swazey Hotel

Sawmill

This small sawmill was probably running quite often. Bodie is above the tree line for the area, which means that all the wood in town needed to be hauled in from other areas. As logs were brought into town and sold, they would end up at sawmills like this one, to be cut up for … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Sawmill

Dechambeau Hotel and I.O.O.F. Building

Here stands the Dechambeau Hotel and I.O.O.F. (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) Buildings. Once a bustling meeting hall, and at some point a “health club” of the times, where members would come to use the barbells and primitive workout machines. This building is located at the south end of Main St. You can see the … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Dechambeau Hotel and I.O.O.F. Building

Stuart Kirkwood Livery Stable

This is the location of the Stuart Kirkwood Livery Stable. During Bodie’s boom time, hundreds and hundreds of horses and wagons were needed to run the town. No doubt this building has seen a lot of horseshoes, broken wagon wheels, and worn yolks and harnesses. Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Stuart Kirkwood Livery Stable

Lester Bell House

Lester Bell worked at the Standard Mill and was a long time friend of J. S. Cain‘s. In the 1890’s the cyanide leaching process was developed and Cain and Alex McCone built a cyanide plant for the Standard Mill. After Lester had worked at the Mill for many years, Cain moved him over to the … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Lester Bell House

Boone Store and Warehouse

Chock full of hundreds of interesting artifacts from the years gone by, this 1879 building was owned by Harvey Boone (incidentally, a direct descendant of Daniel Boone!). In July 1884 this building was almost destroyed by a fire that gobbled up the buildings from Boone’s store to Kingsley’s stables – almost the entire block of … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Boone Store and Warehouse

Bodie Jail

The Bodie Jail was built in 1877 and cost about $800. It’s approximately 14 fett x 18 feet, and has two cells. It’s been written that the jail wasn’t built very well, but it certainly saw a lot of “guests”. Purportedly, only one prisoner ever escaped. Bail was usually $5 for misdemeanors. John Wayne visited … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: | Comments Off on Bodie Jail

Moyle House

The Moyle brothers had a store on north Main Street. Later, George Moyle operated a bottling plant on South Main St.   Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Moyle House

Bodie Schoolhouse

The schoolhouse is one of the better looking buildings in town. It was originally the Bon Ton Lodging House in 1879, but was later converted to the school house, after the first one was burned down. The first school house was burned down by a small boy who had gotten in trouble, and was sent … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Bodie Schoolhouse

Johl House

This was the home of Eli and Lottie Johl. Eli came to the U. S. in 1865 from Germany and eventually made his way to Bodie. He and a partner, Charles Donnelly, setup the Union Market butcher shop. Lottie began her time in Bodie as a prostitute, and eventually married Eli. But, because of her … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Johl House

Bodie, Then and Now

Main Street in Bodie was bragged to be nearly 1 mile long! That was before a large fire in 1892 that wiped out a significant portion of the town. In 1932, another devastating fire left Bodie pretty much the way you see it today. Approximately 100 structures are still standing, which includes everything from the … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures, History | Comments Off on Bodie, Then and Now

Hoover House

This was the home of Theodore and Mildred Hoover. Theodore was the manager of the Standard Mill and lived in this house for about three years. Theodore was the brother of the would-be President Herbert Hoover, who occasionally visited Bodie – but that was long before he was president. At the time, Herbert was working … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Hoover House

Donnelly House

Charlie Donnelly was a butcher who married English artist Annie Pagdin. Later this house was occupied by E. W. Billeb and his wife Dolly, daughter of James S. and Martha Cain. Mr. Billeb was the last superintendent and manager of the old Bodie and Benton Railroad (later the Mono Lake Railway & Lumber Company). The … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Comments Off on Donnelly House

Metzger House

Henry Metzger, born in New York in 1860, came to Bodie in 1878 to work in the Standard Mill and was its foreman when it closed down about 1916. Two of his seven children were born in this house.   Back Next Gallery…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Metzger House

Methodist Church

When you first walk into town from the parking lot, the large building on the left is the Methodist Church. The structure was built in 1882 and was one of the two churches in town. There were about 65 saloons. The last standard church service was conducted in 1932, when all but a few families … Continue reading »

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Categories: Bodie Structures | Tags: , | Comments Off on Methodist Church